FULL FACE OF YOUTUBER CHRISTMAS PRESENTS
How to Choose Green Gifts for Christmas
Have you noticed how "silly" the Christmas season has become, and how we’re encouraged to spend on bigger and better gifts - usually at the last minute and without much thought. Exchanging gifts during mid-winter in the northern hemisphere or mid-summer in the southern hemisphere can be traced back to the New Stone Age, and it’s a lovely idea, when we’re not mindlessly buying gifts for the sake of it.
Christmas shopping can be a nightmare – crowded shops, overzealous music, a barrage of consumables nobody actually needs but you find yourself grabbing anyway in a bid to fill stockings. But it’s time we stopped and asked ourselves just who we’re doing it for, and what the outcome of dizzy shopping is for the environment? If you're keen on having a green Christmas, the gifts will need to be eco-friendly too. Here are some suggestions to help you make sound choices.
Look for eco-friendly elements when purchasing your gifts.The considerations that should guide your purchase are as follows. Look for:
- Durable gifts - items that are of good quality and have a long lifespan
- Think less materialistically – choose items that don't necessarily mean your recipient gets a "thing"
- Support the little guy - avoid big brands and supermarket chains; look in craft stores, cooperatives, farmer's markets etc.
- Try second-hand - books, CDs, antiques, local market items etc. are unique and original ideas that can really be enjoyed by your recipient. Look for items that have long disappeared from our current trends and wow their socks off!
Know what not to buy.It is equally important to avoid certain things when choosing green gifts for Christmas. Here are some things to look out for and avoid:
- Plastic, PVC, or unsustainable goods
- Overly packaged items
- Anything made from endangered wood
- Gimmicks that are completely trend-driven
Consider the following list if you're stuck for ideas:
- Make or bake your own - biscuits, cookies, cakes, candies, pickles, sauces, flavoured vinegars etc. are all wonderful gifts
- Magazine subscriptions - look for ecological and ethical-minded magazines
- Books - Scorched by Leonie Joubert; Boiling Point , also by Leonie Joubert; green books, DVDs about green issues etc. (add a sticker to DVDs that say "to be shared around)
- Clothing – hemp clothing is sustainable, it requires no pesticides, herbicides and little fertiliser; vintage clothing and locally made items from markets and organic clothing choices
- Edible gifts - locally made or organic chocolate, local organic cheese and wine or an organic vegetable and fruit box delivery
- Eco body care - look for organic, local and free of harmful chemicals. Local organic brands should be easy to find in your local health care stores
- Green gadgets - solar-powered devices, wind-up radios, eco toys, torches, water clocks; look online for more ideas
- Sustainable gifts - solar lights, low-flow shower heads, geyser timers and hot bags
- Edible gardens - having your own organic vegetable garden and eating it is catching on fast. Why not sponsor the initial month or part thereof for someone you love?
- Alternative transport - buy an electric bicycle or an electric scooter and help lower carbon emissions; buy several monthly bus or train passes to save them some money and encourage transportation use
Shop online for organic products and avoid the manic rush completely.You can keep your car off the street and your head in a calm zone by doing this!
Video: Organic Christmas Gifts Ideas 2018(Eco Friendly Products for the Home)
Top 5 Ways To Improve Your Stamina For Studying
Sodium Bicarbonate Reviews
Understanding a Slow Heart Rate
Answers to Embarrassing Questions about Tattoos and Piercings
How to Join the American Legion
3 Overlooked Money-Saving Tips
How to Add an Electrical Outlet to a Wall
How to Be Exciting
How to Spend Less on Dairy Products
Harry Potter the Next SylviaPlath
This Primark bag is about to take over your Instagram feed
Ditch The Takeout This Easy Chicken Stir Fry Recipe Is Low-Sodium And Free Of Added Sugar
Weekend Beauty Hack: Refresh Your Hair Color While You DeepCondition
How to Identify Glasshouse Diseases