Health Fraud Awareness (Consumer Update)
How to Spot Fraudulent Health Products and Health Scams
Good health is a focal point in many people's lives. As a result, the health care industry is burgeoning. Unfortunately, fraudulent health products and health scams have become more common. It's important to be able to spot such scams before they can take your money and leave you no healthier than before. Fraudulent health products and health scams may make claims that are unsafe and in some cases not even realistically possible. Such claims include large and sudden weight loss without exercise, prevention of aging, and instant cures. This article will help you spot health scams and fraudulent health products with the intent of promoting your health and preserving your money.
Watch out for health products claiming to cure a major disease.If the product claims to cure cancer or arthritis (cures which medical science has not yet endorsed), the product is most likely a scam.
Watch out for health products claiming to contain secret ingredients.If a company is not willing to discuss their ingredients or if a product is advertised to use an ancient formula or special, "top secret" ingredients, the product is most likely a scam.
Look at the advertising for health products.Watch for words or phrases that typically encourage sales. Some fraudulent health products will use words such as "amazing" or "incredible" in their ads to encourage you to buy the product.
Look at product reviews and customer testimonials.Be aware that health scammers and fraudulent producers have been known to publish fake testimonials to burnish their image and boost sales.
- Look to see if the reviews and testimonials are all positive or have consistently high ratings. If there are no negative or even neutral reviews, the product may be a scam.
- Look at the time and date stamp of every testimonial and review for the health product. If the positive reviews were all published within 48 hours of each other, it's possible the manufacturer hired people to submit fake reviews to meet a certain deadline.
Notice whether the seller wants to be paid in full first.Legitimate producers will offer a free trial period and a full refund if you are not satisfied with results.
- Consult with your health care provider before purchasing or using any new health products. Your provider should be able to determine if a product is legitimate and can be safely used for its intended purpose.
- Be wary of health products that promise to slow or stop your aging process. Getting older is natural. Although certain types of makeup may help you look younger, there is no scientifically proven way to slow down this biological inevitability.
- Beware of weight-loss products that promise to burn off your fat while you sleep or sit around, avoiding exercise. Watch out for products that promise to eliminate a certain amount of weight every day. The best way to lose weight is to exercise regularly and eat fewer calories than your body can burn off.
- Never buy a health product if you are unsure of the ingredients it contains. If you purchase a product with "secret" ingredients, you may be exposing yourself to something you're allergic to or that is in some other way dangerous to your health.
- Do not believe every advertisement you encounter. Most media outlets carry ads without investigating their authenticity.
Video: 10 Biggest As Seen On TV SCAMS!
8 beautiful European islands you must visit
Beauty Recipe: A Modern Take on RetroGlam
How Can You Be As Brainy As Sherlock Holmes That’s Easy: By Developing Your Own Mind Palace
Watch part of the Tapper-Conway exchange below via CNN
18 Awkward Celebrity Kisses Caught on Camera
How to Extend Wireless Range of a Wireless Keyboard and Mouse
7 unforgettable ways to celebrate New Years Eve
How to Save Pictures Onto Your PC
Why I Run
Older people are getting STIs from risky behaviour
Getting help is a huge, lifelong commitment
Consider Chikungunya Virus Before Treating RA
A Trip Into the Life With MS Blog Archives
How to Use Flaky Sea Salt
How to Make a Taco Salad